Tuesday 10 December 2013

Bears Ditka removed from No. 89 during the ceremony

Mike Ditka said any real or perceived acrimony between him and the Bears organization has been " swept under the rug " after the formal withdrawal of his jersey number 89 on Monday night at Soldier Field.

" I never had any ( animosity ) , really ," Ditka said during a press conference after the ceremony on the field during halftime of Bears game - Cowboys.

"I thought ( fief ) was blown out of proportion , really. I mean, it was a little sore , but it was never really angry with anyone. I get it , I got it . 's Good to have it all swept under the carpet or what you mean. nuff respect and admiration for what they are trying to do ... the main office , the property "

Bears Chairman George McCaskey today said he was happy to extend a hand of reconciliation of the organization.

"I had the privilege to ask , and it was very exciting for me," McCaskey said Monday afternoon . "I think he appreciated the gesture . Certainly hope so.

" As Mike says himself , the last time we won, he was the coach. And the last time they won before that, was a player . So no one else besides George Halas can say that in the history of bears. So it's perfectly appropriate . "

Ditka appeared emotional as he recalled his career as a Hall of Fame tight end and then a Super Bowl champion coach.

"I saw Virginia ( McCaskey ) and looks wonderful," Ditka Daughter Bears founder George Halas said. " I'm going back with her and ( her late husband ) Ed ( McCaskey ) at the beginning and it was a child of 22 years old when he came to Chicago and met with Mr. Halas . Was she dazzled by that $ 12,000 a year contract. I went to buy a new car. had to go. "

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell extended congratulations and respect earlier on Monday .

" He is not only a great Hall of Fame , and someone who continues to contribute back to the football game , but it was one of those unique guys who can contribute on the field as a player and coach , and then continues to contribute to game. think it's a great and well deserved recognition . "

Goodell appeared at an event Monday morning in Pulaski International Elementary School to help celebrate the fifth anniversary of the larger program of the United States within the school club.

Former Bears linebacker Otis Wilson, a key member of the '85 Bears , Ditka praised qualities as a coach and motivator.

"I went through two ( NFL) strikes - '82 and '87 ," Wilson said. " There were a lot of things said on both sides, but the one thing that has remained constant since Mike Ditka first came here ... he said . " . Go to the Super Bowl put a chip on his shoulder and we're going to win. " And that's what it was.

" I respect him for that and actually said was : . ' . 'll Be one of those guys who is going to be here ' . . Y has been a consummate professional I have no problem with Mike Ditka I mean , I had a chip on my shoulder when I played . wish the guys played like we did in their day. But it's a different game now and Mike to get his just due . I'm happy for him. "

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment