Friday 16 August 2013

Charlie Manuel fired.

Philadelphia - Charlie Manuel sat at his left, Ruben Amaro Jr. broke down in tears after announcing he fired his manager.

It was emotional for the general manager and several people involved with the Philadelphia Phillies.

Manuel was released on Friday after the disaster of the second half ended the most successful in the club's history. Hall of Famer and a former second baseman Ryne Sandberg third base coach for the Phillies, Manuel replaced for the start of the game homestand 10.

"People might not know the relationship I had with Charlie. He was a special person. This is difficult for me. I hope he's in our organization, "Amaro came as GM Manuel led the Phillies said. World Series title in 2008.

69 years, Manuel the winningest manager in the club's history was the final year of his contract and wants to deal with two or three seasons.

"I've never quit anything and I am not resigning," Manuel said, making it clear that he was pushed out the door.

"I was mad because they took the best seats in the house from me," Manuel said, adding that "I have enjoyed every bit of it.".

Manuel has been the presence of the Tories in the Phillies since the start of the 2005 season, he was not a popular choice in Philadelphia when GM Ed Wade was hired. him to replace Larry Bowa, but he became the darling of the city's difficulties.

"I think all of us are not happy, little, little sad," Chase said Utley "It is not easy to see the guy you're playing for nine years, not behind. the batting cage watching batting practice. It is hard.

"Charlie brings out the most in his playing. He was able to walk up to you and he was the same every day. He was always a positive energy and a lot of times the translation field ".

Sandberg managed the Phillies' Lehigh Valley team the previous two seasons. He was part of the most lopsided trades in sports history when he managed the Phillies to the Bowa for Ivan DeJesus shortstop in 1982.

"I must say that for me, I know this is Charlie Manuel," Sandberg said at his first news conference. "What he means to the organization that Philadelphia Eagles fans what he refers to as his World Series championships, tops in the organization, what they do here. I'm nearly three years of training with him in the spring, and it is here in Septembers and this year, especially with him everyday. I wish Charlie the best with what he intended to do, and he left a large footprint here in Philadelphia. ".

Amaro said Sandberg takes over on an interim basis and will be evaluated after the season. In his first game on Friday night, the Phillies were shut out by the Dodgers, 4-0, dropping them to 53-68 overall and 5-20 since the All Star break.

"These are professional players, they are getting good money" Sandberg said before the game, "Sometimes players have to dig deep to play with heart and play with pride for the name on the front of the series".

Manuel won his 1,000 th game as manager on Monday in Atlanta. Two days later, he sat in the dugout knew it would be his last game after Amaro said he decided not to renew his contract.

"I think sometimes people forget that I love to win," Manuel said. "I think no one would notice. I think sometimes I do not talk about it because I pushed the team and how important it is. Every day, I say the first priority is to win the game. When we receive. From where we get into trouble. I love everything about the deal, and I think for us the last few years to fall back, they get upset so drastically. I want us to stay where we are, I want to compete. For the World Series every year. ".

Manuel Philadelphia led to the world title, the franchise's second series in 2008 and led the team back in '09 when they lost to the Yankees in six games.

Manuel is 780-636, and the Phillies have won five straight NL 2007-11 title game, he also spent three years as a manager with the Cleveland Indians to win the AL Central in 2001.

Even with a roster, the Phillies were expected to compete in the NL East this season, but the team fell apart.

Two-time Cy Young Award winner Roy Halladay has missed most of the season with an injury Slugger Ryan Howard has been out with an injury. High release of Jonathan Papelbon tried to take off, and the addition of Utley and Domonic Brown, the Phillies have not hit much.

"We do not just give up. But we make up our organization into fans "lefty Cole Hamels, who is 5-13, said," but I think in the end, we let each other down, we really have to get back up and discover who we are and what we're playing for. And go out and do it. "

Manuel sudden dismissal angered many fans who call into talk radio stations to express their bitterness. Most blame Amaro, the Phillies dropped.

Amaro has made the questionable multi since replacing Pat Gillick, he decided to give Howard contract extension, $ 125 million, almost two years before he becomes a free agent, has handcuffed the financial and deals. Other big money.

"This is not a blame game," Amaro said. "I'm not here to blame for our problems, Charlie. We all have a part in it. "

Amaro says a former manager with the team if he needs it.
Manuel, but he said he is not sure whether he will remain with the club.

"What I have to do is to get some time to sit and think," he said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment